Here are some winter home preparation tips that could prevent a plumbing disaster when the temperatures start plummeting.
1. Remove all your garden hoses from spigots and store away
2. Shut off water to outside spigots where possible
3. Close crawl space foundation vents
4. Seal air leaks at the perimeter of your home
5. Check the condition of your insulation and weather-stripping
6. Check the condition of all pipe insulation
7. Plug in your heat tape and make sure it is functional
This list is by no means all-inclusive but it is a great place to start. Also, test all Smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors. Replace their batteries and remember that if the detector is older than five years, chances are you need to throw it away and get yourself a new one.